Slippen is the oldest pilot gig, she was built in 1830 and was then known as Bernice – at that time she was a St Martin’s boat. In 1869 she was sold to St Agnes and became the Slippen. In 1907 Slippen went to the rescue of the Thomas W Lawson after she grounded off Annet – two of the 18 crew were rescued. The TW Lawson was the largest 7 masted, steel hulled trading schooner ever built and was from Massachusetts. After the disaster a historical society from Massachusetts part funded her restoration. Slippen is now a St Mary’s boat.
At the 2015 World Gig Rowing Championships a ladies team from Massachusetts were lent the Slippen in order to race in her – a nice historical connection – she had been especially refurbished for the occasion.